Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Shelfari

I found another potential sacred spot here in Franklin yesterday, a little home-grown coffee shop called The Good Cup. The staff was very friendly, and it just seemed like it would be a great, cozy place to write. I (kiddingly) gave the manager a hard time about the fact that the shop doesn’t open until 6:30 a.m.—I mean, half the day is over by then from my perspective! I’ve been known to be the first person to arrive at a Starbucks, which usually opens its doors at 5:30. But that’s just me—crazy early riser who can’t make it til the ball drops on New Year’s Eve.

A T-Mobile colleague pointed me toward a cool Web site the other day, which might be old news to some of you but new to me: Shelfari, a social networking forum where you share titles of books you have read or own. You can find out what all your friends are reading, or what friends of friends of distant colleagues of dogs of friends are reading. I guess it could become some kind of online book club if you work it that way.

I love books and hearing about books and finding out about books I didn’t know were even out there. So Shelfari is one more source for feeding my books addiction. And, hopefully, one more extra jolt of regular inspiration to continue to write books in sacred spots like libraries and indigenous coffee shops.

2 Comments:

At 10:50 AM , Blogger Affording the Mouse said...

You just added me as a "friend" on your Shelfari account and I followed the e-trail to your blog. I noticed you're an Asbury Seminary grad. I graduated from AC in '93. Looks like we have some of the same online friends in common (have worked with Margaret Feinberg on numerous occasions). Just wanted to log in and say hello and wish you the best on your writing. (I'm a freelance writer, mostly for Thomas Nelson.)

Valerie Gibbs
www.valsmomblog.blogspot.com

 
At 10:57 AM , Blogger Rebecca M said...

Hi John,

I did a comparison/contrast of three different book/networking websites that you might find interesting. I'll be sure to look you up on Shelfari, even though I don't use it very often any more (see this post):

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home