Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Doing What You Love

I had a few hours to myself the other day, and found that I must not exclude myself from being the target of penetrating questions regarding things that matter.

For a variety of reasons, I had good cause to scribble on paper a list entitled "Things I love to do." It boiled down to this:

• Nurture the members of my immediate family

• Write and talk about interesting themes and connections from the Humanities, whether fact or fiction—for the sake of simply learning or for application purposes

• Learn in ways that stretch both my heart and mind

• Make people laugh as part of a memorable learning experience or conversation

• Motivate people toward positive behavioral and perspective changes


Generating such a list naturally led to the key questions I cannot and should not escape. They are universal in application, relevant to anyone in my humble opinion:

• What am I doing now that positions me to do more of what I love?

• What should I be doing, or doing more of?

• What should I stop doing?

I brainstormed several possible answers to each of these questions, which I shall not bore you with at the moment (or at any moment, hopefully). But put the questions to your own test...and give yourself permission to do more of what you love! Others will notice the change...

Technorati Tags: ; ;

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:03 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

John,
I think what you have written here is right on target though I might take some issue with the word "should" used in the questions. I have come to see the word "should" as being loaded with what others expect of me (or what I believe others are expecting). I would rather explore, together with God, what it is that would be best for me to.......fill in the blanks of your questions. Does this make sense?

Mike Renfro

 
At 5:28 AM , Blogger John Michael De Marco said...

thanks, Mike...think of it this way: Based on what I would love to be doing more of, what should I do/stop doing...it's not based on what others expect or want, but on what YOU want...if you want something, then it naturally flows that you should do something to move toward it! Here I am really asking the "should" question of myself, holding myself accountable for moving toward what I believe truly matters the most to me. :-)

John

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home