Friday, May 11, 2007

My mission, should I choose to accept it

Recently I've re-read Bob Buford's great books Half-Time and Game Plan, which help readers focus on how to expend their energy during the second (and often most significant) halves of their lives.

As I get near 40 (gulp), I'm trying to follow Buford's suggestion of having a "life mission" that ties in with some key competencies and passions. Out of these areas flow some key commitments (as opposed to goals), and the areas of work and ministry where I would like to unleash that energy.

This is but a further refinement of similiar exercises I've put myself through during the past several years, as I have sought vocational clarity.


My Life Mission:
Leveraging words to help others thrive and discover eternal truths.

Competencies and Passions
Writing
Speaking
Learning Teaching
Equipping
Coaching
Inspiring
Organizing

Commitments

1. Healthy eating and vigorous exercise in order to be fully available to God, others and my vocation.

2. Using God’s gifts and talents in me for his best purposes in every season of life.

3. A loving, growing marriage built on faith, trust, laughter and romance.
4. Nurturing and equipping my children and grandchildren to love God, love learning and celebrate their gifts and talents.

5. Vital friendships with a few other men in every season.

6. Being a lifelong learner.

7. Speaking and acting against injustice, ignorance and suffering when I recognize it.

Work/Vocation/Ministry Areas of Focus:

Writing
Organizational Development and related work (coaching, facilitating, mentoring, team-building, change leadership, etc.)
Teaching
Organizing and equipping small groups
Speaking
Drama
Preaching
Connecting talent and resources


What is your life mission?

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 4:25 PM , Blogger Margaret Feinberg said...

Great list.... that book seems timeless.

 
At 2:43 PM , Blogger John Michael De Marco said...

Indeed! This is my most clear thinking to date about vocation...maybe I'm close to growing up. Hopefully not!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home