Thursday, June 18, 2009

I Tweet, Therefore I Am

I finally began using Twitter last night--I am at http://twitter.com/johnmdemarco. My approach to most social networks has been to observe from a distance, to determine viability and practicality. Specifically, I wasn't sure if I needed to do Twitter updates when I was already very active on Facebook. I also am one to instinctively be slow to jump onto trends, with a bit of skepticism towards anything that feels "too" popular. But,also being a natural networker and connector, I read and heard enough about this rapidly growing platform to finally decide that it would be swell to tweet. So here I am.

The tipping point occurred yesterday, when I came across this article about Iran trying to suppress the tweets. This spoke to me about Twitter's power and reach, and increased its appeal since persons fighting against oppression were actively relying on it. It was the same emotion I felt a couple of years ago when doing research on a story about cell phone marketing, learning of the impact of texting. Coincidentally, I joined a cell phone provider, T-Mobile USA, not long after writing that piece for Christian Retailing magazine.

The article on Iran led to links for other articles about how Twitter has and will shape business and the way we live in general. The big picture impact of any movement always intrigues me. This multi-part piece, of course, led to even more articles on various social networking applications, all of which sound cool but would necessitate quitting my job for me to fully utilize en masse.

I continue to be in awe at the speed of change and innovation. The challenge for me, and I think everyone else still in career mode, is continuing to recognize and to fine-tune my strengths and passions and figure out how to leverage such innovation with authentic purpose. I enjoy learning how I can help people and organizations from a coaching, writing and speaking standpoint, and Twitter certainly is one of many key platforms for opening up possibilities.

1 Comments:

At 5:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thoughts, John. I understand the hesitancy, but the desire to network. My involvement in twitter is also relatively new. However, with a high-speed internet connection, I'll be growing my use of social media and working with churches and church agencies to use it for the benefit of making disciples.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home