Monday, March 09, 2009

A Good Sweat

I do not fully understand people who deny themselves the thrill of a good sweat. Going to the gym several early mornings per week and doing cardio and strength training has become such an ingrained habit. I feel incomplete, soft, irritated when I miss a couple of days. Everything seems out of whack. After about 20 years of this habit, it's all but impossible to break. I'll exercise as long as I am able, because my health is not something that will last forever.

I am amazed at people who live for the thrill of a good prayer time. They can go to their sacred place, wherever it might be, several if not every morning per week and stretch their soul out before God and discern how to follow him more fully. They feel incomplete, soft, irritated when the miss a couple of days. Everything seems out of whack. After years and years of this habit, it's all but impossible to break...especially because God has penetrated the bloodstream and transformed the praying one into something that will last forever.

I've tasted the former thrill much more frequently than the latter. The first seems so much easier, so much more tangible, so much easier to lend itself to habit. The first takes my breath away on occasion as I manipulate my flesh. The second requires being open to new breath as I surrender my flesh.

Lord, help me to desire your perfect strength as much as I desire the fleeting strength of my body. Transform my spirit into something that will stand the test of time, even as I focus so much energy on temporal matters. Help me to sweat with you in the garden.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home