Monday, April 07, 2008

Spring Has Sprung

Yesterday began a long-awaited outburst of spring in middle Tennessee. For the past five months I have felt somewhat lost under a large gray dome with fluctuating temperatures, but yesterday was all about the smell of freshly cut grass and barbecue grills and the sound of persons of all ages frolicking about. It was teeming with life and vibrancy. My own grill, lying in pieces since the move from Florida, was hastily reassembled and I dashed off to the grocery store to secure a new canister of gas and some burgers and hot dogs.

I have noticed across these months how much weather, and especially sunlight, impacts my mood. I feel more energetic and confident when it is bright and temperatures are mild. I have tried to convince myself that none of this weather stuff matters--especially with my efforts to surrender to the present moment--but it seems to in a deeper way than I can fully understand.

This will be my first summer to live without immediate ocean availability for many years. I love a walk along the shore, staring out at the ocean. Always have since I was a kid. I love bodysurfing on extremely hot summer days, and floating along the waves. The ocean seems to have a certain healing power to it. Right now I have plans to visit Florida twice this summer, and I'll need to get my fix. I'll spend most of the spring and summer discovering hiking trails and enjoying the different type of beauty and wonder offered by this part of the country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home