Monday, March 31, 2008

The Present Moment

I'm reading a fascinating book by Eckhart Tolle called A New Earth, who also wrote The Power of Now (which I have not yet read). Essentially, Tolle calls for a spiritual awakening that shifts one's focus from thinking to being...from ruminating about the past or stressing about the future to simply embracing the present moment. He does a commendable job of weaving in numerous sayings of Jesus, freed from their doctrinal slant

Tolle particularly nails me when he discusses the tendency to strive toward accomplishments, goals or relationships--only, upon achieving them, to look ahead to the next want and fail to embrace the moment that simply is. I have spent very few days of my life actually content. Tolle sees this as almost an epidemic for the human species, the underlying source behind so many of our problems.

So I am trying to surrender my distractions of each moment and simply let the moment be. It's not a goal to work toward, for that would make it like every other ambition and I would miss the moment. It's more a matter of being still, being present and engaged with what is. I still have much to learn.

3 Comments:

At 8:58 PM , Blogger Frank DeMarco said...

Have you read much about "mindfulness"? It's the same idea but from a Buddhist perspective. Attachments and striving are seen as the primary causes of suffering, and the goal is to accept reality on its own terms, as things are. Central to this is remaining grounded in the present experience, letting go of past regrets and resentments (because you can't change the past), and letting go of worries about the future (which you can't predict or control). It's also about acceptance of the inevitable, such as death (your own, and that of those whome you love). Much easier said than done, though meditation can help you get there.

Love,
Frank

 
At 10:25 AM , Blogger John Michael De Marco said...

Yes, there have been several referenes to Buddhism and other Eastern religions woven throughout several of the books I've read during the past year. It's all been very helpful and quite stretching. Right now I'm takin life one mindful breath at at time!

Love,
John

 
At 11:35 AM , Blogger Bryan Allain said...

john, havent read the book, but have been thinking alot about being "present" lately. too often i am thinking about what I'm going to do next, or what my next goal is. but the truth is, all i really have is "now" and honestly, "now" is pretty good. always good to be reminded.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home